Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Greetings from Togo!





Bonjour!
I arrived in Togo last night :) I had a very safe journey, so thank you to all who prayed.  It is about 80 degrees here and very humid.  I did not realize how tired I was until they asked me to fill out some paperwork last night, which I kept filling out wrong such as writing myself as the emergency contact. Hehe.


Train to downtown Brussels
Anyway, I traveled from SF to NYC to Brussels, Belgium, then finally to Togo.  I 
had a 6 hour layover in Brussels, Belgium
so I decided to go out and explore the city.  Belgium is beautiful!  I took a 2 hour tour bus ride there.  I had only brought clothes for the hot weather in Togo, so I put on the warmest clothes I had (a sweatshirt and thin jacket), but I was still cold because it was about 40 degrees there.  I was shivering on the tour bus, but it was worth every little shiver :)
        
Such a beautiful city. 
YUM! 
Togo reminds me very much of certain cities in Mexico.  I arrived here at 11 pm, and the people were still out and about.  I met part of my cabin mates last night and the rest today.  There are 8 other young ladies I am staying with, and they are very sweet and kind.  My cabin on the ship is small, but very nice.  There are two windows in my cabin and it definitely was beautiful to look out the window in the morning and just admire the sea and the sun. There are people here volunteering from everywhere.  I met some people from Canada, Holland, Germany, and there is a person here from Ukraine.  It is actually a small world that we live in.

Today was a very exciting day because in the morning, one of my cabin mates asked me if I wanted to go to the market with her and two other girls because she had to pick up a skirt.  The market was busy, and they sold so many unique things. The seamstresses make dresses there from scratch.  Actually, every item you buy here is pretty much made from scratch by the people working in the shop.  For example, the cloth is made then hand dyed with designs then cut out and then sown.  The people are very friendly, but since I do not know French, it’s harder for me to communicate.  However, nothing builds a relationship like a warm smile :)
Lydia shopping for shoes at the market.
Lome, Togo

When I came back from the market, I had an orientation and a tour of the ship.  Like I mentioned, today was very exciting, but also very busy.  Hopefully, I will get internet directly to my computer this Friday, so that I can post some pictures. 


Be Blessed!


This verse was written on the wall by the window J
Proverbs 31:8-9
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
Defend the rights of the poor and needy.

No comments:

Post a Comment