Saturday, April 7, 2012

First Time at the Hope Center

I went to the Hope Center for the first time a few days ago.  The Hope Center is off ship, and it is the place where the patients go before and after surgery.  Patients sometimes travel a great distance to receive care from Mercy Ships, so while they are here they are able to stay at the Hope Center, and after their surgery they are able to recover here.  Crew members are able to go there everyday and they have designated times throughout the week were you can go as a group.  I went with a small group to have a short children's event.  We read them a story, did an art and craft, sang some songs, and then played some games.  Everything gets translated into French for the kids. 
I want to eat him!

Futbol always fun no matter where you are.
He is pretty concentrated.
The kids loved blowing bubbles.  They were so cute chasing the bubbles too.
I met a very beautiful and amazing 8 year old girl.  She was all smiles the second she came out of the door to meet us.   Her name is Mokpokbo, which means Hope.  Prior to surgery, she either had a bad burn on her arms or she had an infection because her arms were bandaged up.  I could tell it was very bad because I could still see heavy blistering at the edges of the bandages.  Even though her arms had the bandages, she was carrying a two month old boy in her arms.  I don't think it was her brother.  He was  there waiting for a surgery to correct his deformed foot .   Meeting this little girl has been the biggest blessing for me so far.  She gave me so many hugs, smiles, and giggles.  We played many games together and she taught me the colors in French.  I told her she was "mon professeur de français" (that might be written wrong).  Mokpokbo is very special to me because her hugs were so kind and genuine that they really reminded me of home.  This was really the first time here that I felt home so close to me.
Mokpokbo with Roxanne.

As I left the ship, I really thought about how amazing this girl is.  Even though she had bandages on her arm and had pain from blistering, she still came walking in with smiles and used her arms to bring the little boy to meet us.  I thought about how excited she was and full of joy.  It made me realize how even through her arms were in pain, she had still had used them to bless others and be a joy for those around her.  It is strange how sometimes we find it too hard for us to stretch our healthy arms out to someone and help them, and yet here was this little girl using even her injured arms to bless those around her.  How much more does this apply on a spiritual level?  Sometimes when we have an ailment, we just complain and become frustrated and angered.  In those times, the last thing on our mind is how to use our pain and suffering to be an encouragement for others.  I pray that I can take the example of Mokpokbo and use even those stressful and challenging times to shine and be a blessing to the people around me :)

The ladies there wanted to braid my hair.
They only did two braids, but next time I'm going all out :)
Be Blessed!


Also, a little unfortunate news /prayer request.  I went to the market yesterday where I was pick pocketed and got my camera stolen L.   They are quite experts here because my purse had a flap and a zipper.  It is very ironic that I just wrote about frustrating times because this really had me discouraged.  Objects are objects though.  I just pray that I can possibly get a disposable camera while I am here, so I can still take pictures and have those memories.  The good news is that 1. pretty much everyone here brought a camera and many people said they can take pictures with me when we go places and 2. I had uploaded almost all the pictures I took so far, but I did lose the ones I took at the Hope Center.  Anyway, please continue to keep me in your prayers J


Colossians 3:16
Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hears.



No comments:

Post a Comment