Monday, May 14, 2012

So... What Do I Do on the Ship?

My main job on Africa Mercy is a steward in the dining room.   This means that with a team of about 8 we set up, serve, and clean up breakfast, lunch, and dinner for about a crew of 600.  I really enjoy my time serving in this department because this is where the crew comes to together as family, enjoys a meal together, gets reenergized and refreshed for the day. I also love the fact that I get to greet and chat with lots of different people because everyone on the ship comes to get food :).  I meet incredible people just by chatting with them in the dining room.  Luckily, this position is also very flexible.  I work 2 days and then the next two days I get off, making it very convenient to get involved in other projects, ministries, and jobs.

Filling the water in the dining room. 
Team picture!
Pizza Night, YUM!  My favorite is African Night, 
meaning African food, and it is every Tuesday. 

My minor job is a sterilization technician with the dental team, which I do about 1x every 2 weeks.  Patients come here to get teeth extracted, cavities filled, and receive basic oral education.  The patients here are so grateful and kind for the few services we are able to provide.  One time, when I helped a lady get 2 teeth extracted, all I basically did was hold the suction tube, but after she gave me a huge smile and hugged me.  Also, just like in America some of the patients are so nervous and scared to come the dentist, so sometimes I try to give them an encouraging smile or hold their hand during the appointment.  I also love the fact that the dentists we have here are top dentists from around the world, so I get to work alongside some of the best, talented dentists.

Helping with the dental suction. 
Dentistry clinic.
Sterilizing dental tools.
I help with OR sterilization about 1 time a week too.  We help clean and package tools for the surgeries scheduled the following day.  Sometimes being here and looking at all the tools, it’s true that I do feel like at a hardware store. 

Helping out Juan in the OR Sterilization room.
Huge scissors.
OR kits all ready to go. 
In my spare time, I go to the HOPE center, visit patients, go to the market, catch up on e-mails, relax, or go to the other outreaches they have.

Here is a quick schedule of my workday.

5:20AM                    Wake up and get ready for work
5:44                          Walk up the stairs and go to work i.e. the dining room
5:45-6:30                   Set up dining room for breakfast
6:30-7:30                   Breakfast for all crew
7:30-8:00                   Clean up
11-11:30                    Setup the dining room for lunch
11:30 – 1PM              Lunch!
1-2                            Clean up from lunch
4-4:45                        Prepare for Dinner
4:45-6:30                   Dinner
6:30-7:30                   Clean up from Dinner
7:30- Bed                   Free Time


Be Blessed!


Ephesians 2:10
For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. 





No comments:

Post a Comment