Thursday, May 10, 2012

Small World After All


One of the most beautiful things about being on Mercy Ships is the friendships that develop among the crew and patients.  You meet people from all around the world through work, ministry opportunities, or by simply sitting at the café and starting up a conversation with a person there.  I have met amazing people with powerful testimonies, and most of the time I am so surprised at how many connections I already have with the people here.
Beach :)

Here is a very interesting story that happened to me…
I went to the beach with a few girls, and we were sitting in the sun and chatting about life.  I shared with one girl in particular that I was born in Romania, and that a big reason my family left Romania was because of communism.  Among other atrocities communism created in Romania was the persecution of Christians.  They imprisoned, tortured, and sometimes killed religious leaders as well as attempted to destroy the church.  One of the girls shared with me that when her dad was in his early 20s, he actually transported thousands of Bibles from Holland to Romania during this time!  Keep in mind this was super illegal.  This was surreal for me to think about because here I was sitting in a beach in Lomé, Togo, Africa with a girl whose father possibly provided the means for someone in my family to receive a Bible over 20 years ago!  God is just amazing and mysterious!  I know it is just as possible that none of the Bibles transported ever reached my family, but still knowing that her father risked his very life to deliver the Bible to the people of Romania is just beyond me.  Hope this encourages you the way it encouraged me.

Coco Beach. It is so nice and beautiful.  The currents here are really strong though.
I should bring one back with me.

Be Blessed!


(Just wanted to share some of the countries that I have friends onboard from – no particular order: Canada, Australia, Japan, Ukraine, Switzerland, Ireland, Holland, China, Canada, Dominican Republic, England, France, Germany, Nepal, Togo,  Ghana, Nigeria, Benin, South Africa, and more!)


Job 11:7-12 
Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty? They are higher than the heavens above – what can you do?  They are deeper than the depths below – what can you know? Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea?

No comments:

Post a Comment